Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Of Mountains and Gastroenteritis

Last Friday, April 17 2009 is a day that will live in infamy, at least for me. This is the day that I endured one of the fiercest onslaughts of stomach flu I have ever encountered while at the same time attempting one of the best mountain tours in New England.





I had risen at 4:30 just to make sure I had time to pack and eat enough breakfast. As I tip-toed down the stairs to the kitchen, I could feel a slight tension in my stomach. I quickly ignored this and assumed that it was nothing a bowl of oatmeal wouldn;t put right. I met the rest of the party at 5:15 and we were on our way north at 5:30. An hour later put us in Wells River at the beloved P&H truck stop for a slice each of one of their famous pies. I had the Pumpkin with a heavy dollop of cream. As I downed the last bite, I knew something wasn't right. But we were over half way there and I decided to err on the side of adventure....


8:30 put us into Bretton Woods and onto the Ammonussuc trailhead. The winds were light in the valley and the sun shon brightly onto the white peaks above. And the stomach gurgled....

I'll spare the boring details but will mention that the skiing was spectacular and that the views were exceptional and that the company was rich in conversation. I made it up and rested for an hour or two at the summit while Brandon and Detlef netted a few runs off into the Southern fields off Munroe. At two oclock, the winds picked up enough to warrant our departure from the highest terrain. We made our way back to the Monroe Brook trail and descended through some of the best snow of the day.







Ascending Ammonoosuc Ravine








The barren fields just under Lake of the Clouds. Washington behind.

















Shelter and lunch at Mount Monroe











Detlef on the Southern fields











and in for landing....








on Monroe Brook


















A parting shot.





We arrived back in Bridgewater by 7. I was in bed by 8 hoping for a full 12 hours rest. I think I made it to 11 or so and then I was hit full force by what I knew had been coming all day.





















2 comments:

The Wofford family said...

Can I just say that you guys are amazing? You might be able to take the boy out of Vermont, but you'd never be able to take the Vermont out of the boy! Great pictures. By the way, are you still thinking of joining the Olympic team?

Simon and Pam Wunderli said...

Great story Seth! Glad you made it home before the full force of the "stomach storm" came. Simon has had a few close calls when flying especially as there are no bathrooms on board. Some pilots have had to be quite creative ;)