Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Bears

The Bugeci in June


The Bucharest-Budapest Line


At Pelsior Palace (Hapsburgs Castle in the Bugeci)





About a year ago, Bug and I took two weeks and travelled to Eastern Europe. We met up with good friends of ours in Hungary. After three days of touring the city, the four of us boarded a train at Kerlegy station in Budapest bound for the Carpathian mountains in Romania. We spent one great day hiking around the vast conifiered peaks of the Bugeci range and then departed after having made the mistake of assuming that Bucharest, our next port of call, would hold far greater excitment.

I was scrolling the headlines tonight and was pulled in by the story of a bear attack in a section of the Bugeci range.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/06/24/international/i141546D38.DTL

This particular collection of peaks and valleys is indeed vast and I will not presume that the incident took place near where our steps had traced. Though from my recollection, the only wildlife I can remember coming into contact with were the stray dogs that followed us from the train station up into the hills.

2 comments:

hannah vanorman said...

love the new pitures on the blog how is tua I am fine love aunt hannah

Cydil said...

Wow! I've never seen these photos before! Looks amazing!