Today is World Water Day. The theme this year was "Coping with Water Scarcity." Events were held around the world, though primarily in the global South, to commemmorate this. I've posted a BBC sponsored site below. It contains entries from dozens of souls from all over speaking of the impact that water (or the lack of water, more accuratly) has had upon their lives. Here in Bridgewater, Vermont USA, we celebrated World Water Day by having another small river flowing through our basement. It's not nearly as bad as the flood last week, and right now it seems pretty much contained. Ironic though, having water that I don;t want on a day highlighting the immediacy of water scarcity. America has more resources than we know what to do with, including good, clean water. If we could only give more of these resources freely without considering our own needs as much as we do, I'd say we might be onto something. I will retire this evening thankful for water. Hopefully, the basement will be dry by dawn.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6480887.stm
Thursday, March 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment