If mud up to the axles wasn't enough for you, how about three inches of water in a basement that I was convinced was bombproof. Perimeter drains do nothing if they have 8 feet of ice impeding the flow of water at their terminus. Fortunately, we were smart and built shelves on which to store the more sensitive of our belongings. Unfortunately, all of the boxes did not make it into their designated spaces. The contents of these now useless pieces of cardboard are now drying on the floor here next to me. The drains are now flowing properly and the basement is drying with remarkable speed. Of all of the boxes that were in the basement, I was most concerned with two small BASF boxes which I knew were filled with Bug's koala collection.
Bug, for the better part of her childhood, spent a great amount of her time and energies devoted to the Koala. I'm sure I collected something when I was growing up, but I can't remember what it was and I certainly can't remember being as avid with whatever it might have been as Bug must have been with her Koala's. What remains of her collection now is smaller that the 1988 edition, yet no less sentimental. My heart was in my throat as I decended into the basement tonight. To lose 40 or so stuffed marsupials to a wet basement would really have put the icing on my day. Fortunatly for me (and the Koala's) the boxes housing the collection were safe and I can sleep with a clean conscience tonight. For what it's worth, we took out one of the most handsome Koala's, renamed it Harvey (Bug had forgotten the original name), and placed it on Tua's nightstand. With any luck, she'll continue the tradition.
Wednesday, March 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
For me it was matchbox cars. I think I still have 500 or so of them at my parents house.
If Bug had collected flamingos (like me), a little water and they would have felt right at home. That collection, never grew to the same proportions as hers, (thankfully).
Oh my gosh! I forgot about Jenny's koala collection until I checked your blog tonight!! How fun to have a memory from your childhood jogged like that!
The question is, though, does she still have her 'bug box' in which we used to hold innocent caterpillars captive??
Kelly McCormick
Kelly,
Funny you should remember the bug box. I feel bad about that now, but back then I felt it was a perfectly normal thing to do. I don't know where it is; I'm sure it is somewhere...I can't imagine that I threw it away. I will have to find a new one for Tua.
Bug
I thought the bug box was the neatest thing! I remember keeping my eyes open for one when shopping with my mom....I wanted one so badly. And, according to my husband, I have not grown out of my need to 'pen up' animals. To keep his dog, Luther, out of the living room, I keep a baby gate up at the kitchen door. We now call the kitchen, East Berlin and the living room West Berlin.
Post a Comment