Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Whittakers End

Often when I'm rocking Tua to sleep, I catch up on headlines that I've missed over the last year or two. Tonight, a story out of the Washington Post archives caught my attention. It concerns a man named Whittaker and his journey from mediocrity to fame and finally to disillusion. You might remember the name Jack Whittaker if you jog your mind back to Christmas of 2002. He and his wife were the Hurricane, West Virginia couple that won the record powerball jackpot of 314 million. For all his winnings on that day, he had every reason to wear the broad smile. But happiness it seems, is never found in securities even when you opt for the net payout instead of the annuitized disbursments. I'll include myself in the assessment that most of us are reaching for that which will bring us immediate and abundant comfort. Money is a big player on that front. It always seems to fill the need. At least, we think it does. Jack Whittaker's story is fascinating in that it is a classic parable of the depravity of man, and of the hollow promises offered up in the name of cash. But the most fascinating part about it all is that it really happened. You can find the story here-- http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36338-2005Jan25.html.

....and by the time I finished reading this, she was sound asleep.

1 comment:

Cydil said...

What a sad, sad story.